Monday 16 January 2017

The Secret by Katerina Diamond






Out Now:

Published by: Avon

Purchase from Amazon here



What it’s about:

The Queen of Grip-lit is back…

EVERYTHING YOU THINK YOU KNOW IS A LIE…

When Bridget Reid wakes up in a locked room, terrifying memories come flooding back – of blood, pain, and desperate fear. Her captor knows things she’s never told anyone. How can she escape someone who knows all of her secrets?

As DS Imogen Grey and DS Adrian Miles search for Bridget, they uncover a horrifying web of abuse, betrayal and murder right under their noses in Exeter.

And as the past comes back to haunt her, Grey must confront her own demons. Because she knows that it can be those closest to us who hurt us the most…


What did I think?

The Secret instantly appealed with its cover (I do love cake), but more vitally from knowing how much I had enjoyed Katerina’s earlier book The Teacher. In my opinion she has taken her work up a notch, and along with it her ability to deliver a thriller that packs a punch, has a big twist and at times doesn’t hold back on the gruesome descriptions!

The Secret touches on some dark and less than glamourous aspects of life as we enter the world of prostitution, the underworld, drugs and other unsavoury areas. But combined they make for a book that will lead you up one path, down another, and around in a circle until you’re not sure where you are! That was both good and bad for me. Whilst I liked the not quite being sure of everything I did find myself a bit lost and confused at times.

The highlight of the book for me is the emerging partnership between DS Imogen Grey and DS Adrian Miles. It wasn’t until part way into the book that I realised they featured in The Teacher, and I have a feeling they could become a long term partnership for us readers, and I do hope so. The Secret allows us to get under the surface of them a bit more, and looks at who they are and the past too. I have a feeling they are going to be a force to be reckoned with, and a partnership I am looking forward to reading more about.

This book is not really for the feint hearted. It is violent, serious stuff, and has one hell of a twist at the end that I wasn’t expecting. I am hoping we don’t have to wait too long for our next instalment. I have questions I need answering!

Katerina has a talent for delivering strong themed plots that are written with the style of an accomplished author who knows how to build a story to a crescendo and when we relax thinking we have it all sussed sticks an explosion that catches us unawares. I love it!!




No comments:

Post a Comment