Monday 21 December 2015

The Lie by C.L.Taylor



Out Now
Published by Avon
Purchase from Amazon here


The Blurb:

I know your name’s not really Jane Hughes . . .

Jane Hughes has a loving partner, a job in an animal sanctuary and a tiny cottage in rural Wales. She’s happier than she’s ever been but her life is a lie. Jane Hughes does not really exist.

Five years earlier Jane and her then best friends went on holiday but what should have been the trip of a lifetime rapidly descended into a nightmare that claimed the lives of two of the women.

Jane has tried to put the past behind her but someone knows the truth about what happened. Someone who won’t stop until they’ve destroyed Jane and everything she loves . . .

Haunting, compelling, this psychological thriller will have you hooked. Perfect for fans of Gone Girl and Daughter.


My Review:

Wow! I thought I loved Cally Taylor's first book, The Accident. But this was even better! I was hooked from the start and found it very hard to put the book down.

As the book starts we meet Jane who works at the local animal sanctuary, has a boyfriend, and what appears to be an unspectacular, normal run of the mill life. But it's not long before we discover Jane isn't quite what she seems to be....infact she isn't called Jane at all!

Five years ago, Jane (or should I call her by her real name, Emma), travelled to Nepal on holiday with three of her best friends. All we know is that something happened during that holiday that resulted in her returning to the UK and having to start a new life with a new identity. I really don't want to tell you much more than that about the storyline as I fear it may unwittingly spoil it for other readers.

So what can I say about what happens? That's the beauty of the book. It takes is on a journey with chapters alternate between the present day and five years ago. With each of the chapters the story gets darker, and we discover more about the trip and the traumatic events that took place and prompted the life changes.

The author has, in my opinion, created a work of genius. Right from the outset the mystery starts to build and intrigue definitely got the better of me. I was totally captivated. As the storyline develops I started trying to second guess what had happened, but I was wrong! Not only was I trying to guess what had happened five years ago, but the storyline crosses over into the present day, which adds another layer of complexity and guessing.

I love the way the characters were written and developed. I found Jane very likeable and easy to warm to. There is also a lot of tension and sadness around her which moulds her personality. The author has also created some vile, truly horrible characters whom I found it easy to despise. The depth of the characters really made the book for me. Because I found it so easy to like some, and hate others I felt myself pulled even deeper into finding out what happened. And I never managed to guess all the outcomes which is always great and leaves me feeling satisfied that I have read a really good, unpredictable book.

The story has twists and turns as it hurtles towards the end, and the big revelations. The story becomes darker and in parts are quite disturbing, which if I am honest is right up my street!

I absolutely loved this book and would highly recommend it as a must read.

Thank you to Avon who kindly provided a copy in return for an honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment