Wednesday 8 April 2015

The Day we Disappeared by Lucy Robinson

Publication date: 9th April
Published by Penguin
Purchase from Amazon here


The Blurb: 

It's springtime in London and everything is about to change for Annie Mulholland. From the moment she meets Stephen Flint, things seem too good to be true as Annie abandons her customary cautiousness for a wild love affair. In Somerset, Kate Brady is starting a new job. Fresh air, new faces and good old fashioned hard work is just what she needs to put everything that happened in Dublin behind her. But what are these two old friends hiding, and for how long can they run from the secrets of their past before they come crashing into their futures? 

 My Review: 


Wow! How do I even begin to review this book? I simply don't think I am going to be able to do it justice! I have spent the last couple of days just staring at my computer trying to work out what to say about what is simply an amazing book. I just want you to rush out, buy it, read it and come back to me so I can gush about it without risking any spoilers. 

I am literally gobsmacked by Lucy's latest novel, and at one point had to scrape my jaw off the floor. I had read a couple of Lucy's earlier books and adored them, but this is on a different level. With The Day We Disappeared Lucy has become the ultimate master of twists. When I think of it now I am still blown away.

Ok, so what can I tell you? The book tells the story of Annie Mullholland and Kate Brady. Both live very different lives, but I soon realised that they both had something they were hiding. Kate is just starting a new job as a stable hand in Somerset after leaving a good job in Dublin very suddenly. She is very coy and secretive about her past but something just doesn't stack up. She is out of her depth and isn't sure how to carry on, but then she meets Mark. Mark owns the stables and is known as a harsh man, but with Kate a different side appears. Can Kate find happiness and put whatever mars her past behind her?

Annie works as a therapist in London. She also seems to have a secret, and deep rooted distrust of relationships. When Stephen comes in for a massage she is instantly drawn to him and before long she is working for his company and romance quickly blossoms. Will Stephen be the man who can unlock happiness for Annie?

But all is not as it seems for either Annie or Kate. They are both very closed books and something has obviously happened in their past which has had a catastrophic effect on them now. But what? Argh I am so desperate to tell you more! 

I am a big fan of Lucy and her writing style. She is just so down to earth and it comes across in the way she writes. The characters are also down to earth, gritty, funny and real. They jump off the page and come to life so easily that I feel like I am personally involved as I read. Her ability to create unique and realistic characters who are so believable and convey such a range of complex feelings and deep emotions is extraordinary. Not only that, her description and passion about her work made it so easy for me to tap into the situations and issues each character was experiencing. I felt like I was there in the scene with the characters rather than reading a book. They were so powerful, she had me gripped, hook, line and sinker, right until the last line. There are some very dark and difficult scenes in the book and I found myself holding my breath and unable to think of anything else. As the plot thickened it became impossible to put the book down. I lost count of how many timesI said to myself 'just one more chapter', only to look up and another hour had passed. I lost a whole nights sleep as it drew to a close as I literally couldnt tear myself away. I went through all the emotions. I really felt I could connect with the characters and what they were going through which made for a very powerful and intense read. Trust me, when you finish it you will be desperate to find someone to talk to about what you have read. My poor boyfriend didnt have a clue what to do as I warbled I at a million words a minute but I couldn't keep it all in! (Sorry Simon!!).

This book is mesmerising, and for me total perfection. I didn't want it to finish. I laughed, I cried, I was on the edge of my seat, and I was exhausted by the end. It is one hell of an emotional roller coaster ride that you won't want to get off. I don't know how Lucy will ever top this! It's going to be tough, but I can't wait to read her next book now. This is already my book of 2015 and it will take something pretty special to top it! 

This has to be a contender for the next Richard and Judy book club. I want everyone to read it and love it as much as I did!

Thanks to the publisher who kindly provided a copy in return for an honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment