Saturday 14 February 2015

The List by Joanne Bolouri


Out Now
Published by Quercus
Purchase from Amazon here


The Blurb

Phoebe Henderson may be single but she sure doesn't feel fabulous. It's been a year since she found her boyfriend Alex in bed with another woman, and multiple cases of wine and extensive relationship analysis with best friend Lucy have done nothing to help. Faced with a new year but no new love, Phoebe concocts a different kind of resolution.

The List: ten things she's always wanted to do in bed but has never had the chance (or the courage!) to try. A bucket list for between the sheets. One year of pleasure, no strings attached.

Simple, right?

Factor in meddlesome colleagues, friends with benefits, getting frisky al fresco and maybe, possibly, true love and Phoebe's got her work cut out for her.



My Review:

I had heard so many great things about this book I was itching to read it, and was absolutely delighted to be approved for a review copy.

If you want a book that will make you laugh (alot) this could be the one for you to pick up. Phoebe and her exploits had me laughing throughout. A word of warning that it does contain lots of references to sex, and some scenes set in the bedroom (and other locations), but it is all written with great humour, and I wouldn't say in an offensive way at all.

We start the book on New Year's Day. Phoebe has been single for a year since she walked in and found her boyfriend in bed with another woman. She and her friends are at their annual New Years get together when she decides that she wants to come up with a list of things to achieve in the coming year. However this list is slightly less conventional than usual as they are all based around sex and things she wants to try, such as having a threesome etc.

The book is written in diary format, and we follow her throughout the next 12 months as one by one she works her way down the list. Her best friend Lucy is very encouraging of this and some of their conversations about making the list happen are hilarious. I loved the banter between the two of them.

Phoebes other best friend is Oliver.  They have been friends for a long while, but after many chats with Lucy, Phoebe wonders if Oliver might also be the perfect friend to help her tick off her list. Oliver of course is more than happy to volunteer his services for the greater good. Cue hilarious scenes of them as they work through the ten items listed.

But will they remain friends? Or will it lead to more? Or destroy their friendship? I loved watching how the intimacy impacted on their relationship, and I guess I liked seeing how it affected the way that Phoebe views Oliver.

Yes, this book is hilariously funny, and yes, it is rude. But it is also touching. There are some lovely scenes as well, and some twists and turns that you wouldn't necessarily expect.

I loved Phoebe. A bit of a Bridget Jones character in some ways. She has a great personality who I found it easy to click with and warm to. Her approach to her list raises a smile. But I also found myself feeling protective towards her and not wanting to see her get hurt. It is obvious that her ex-boyfriend hurt her alot, and because she is so instantly likeable I didnt want to see her embarking on her list unless she was totally happy with it.

I would love to be part of this friendship group. They have eachothers backs totally, and a 100% loyal. But they would also be great fun to hang out with. Nothing would be off limits and I think there would be alot of laughter.

This is a book that will have you laughing out loud, I raised a few eyebrows in public when I couldn't hold my laughter in. I found it hard to put down, and would like to see what happens after the diary ends. It's full of fun, sex, and friendship. You may want to read it first before giving it to a parent, aunt etc though!

Thank you to the publisher to provided a copy of the book in return for an honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment