Tuesday 11 November 2014

The Perfect Christmas by Kate Forster


Out now
Published by Harlequin UK, Mira
Purchase from Amazon here

The Blurb:

A holiday short story that proves that true love is forever, not just for Christmas…
Hollywood movie star Maggie and friend and manager Zoe need an escape from their complicated star-studded lives in LA. With its history and Christmas charm, London feels like the perfect getaway.

But can they truly leave their realities behind?

In their luxurious quarters, the girls meet Holly who is ideal at showing Maggie and Zoe the sumptuous sights and sounds of London in their most glittering light. But behind her bright façade, Holly is hiding a secret: suffering from unrequited love, she’s looking for a Christmas miracle. Desperate to see an unattainable love story for Holly come together, will our LA starlets succeed in providing a Hollywood ending before the dawn of Christmas Day?

Packed to the brim with festive cheer, this is the only story you’ll need this Christmas…


My Review:

The Perfect Christmas is a short story that has already got me into the festive spirit. I'm sitting her humming carols to myself as I type! At 78 pages this novella is a great way of dipping into the Christmas period when you have some spare time.

I loved the two main characters. Maggie is married to Will and  has a step son who is waiting for a heart transplant. They usually spend Christmas at home together and Maggie is shocked when Will announces that they are off to Mexico for Christmas this year, without Maggie.

Zoe is Maggies friend and manager. They haven't seen eachother in a couple of months, but when Maggie hears about Wills plans she heads straight over to see Zoe. With neither having any plans they decide that they will escape all the madness and head to London. Zoe is always on the go working and it is Maggies intention for her to stop for a few days.

We follow them over to London where they check into The Dorchester hotel and the fun begins. Here we meet Holly who is assigned to look after them during their stay. Maggie spots that Holly has a, how shall I say....soft spot for Jack who is the hotel manager, and decides to take it upon herself to play Cupid. The rest of the story follows their trips out, and also their attempt to bring Holly and Jack together.

I really enjoyed this novella and read it all in one sitting. The characters are bought to life very quickly and I felt able to connect with them. The story felt like a great adventure which made me laugh and smirk almost all the way through. Maggie and Zoe are very likeable and I really wanted them to go out and have fun, so was willing them on. It was a bit like hanging out with a couple of friends. There is an air of naughtiness and mischievousness in Maggie which made me smile throughout.  I enjoyed the dynamics of their friendship, and seeing Zoe being forced to lighten up and let go. It also wouldn't be Christmas without a budding romance and the novella ticked that box for me.

A fun easy read, full of festive spirit. It even got me in the mood to think about my Christmas shopping and the smell of winter in the air without dread. I love Christmas time and this novella created a feeling of happiness and joy in me, and has me reaching for the mince pies!

Thank you to Harlequin UK, Mira who provided a copy in return for an honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment