Thursday 26 June 2014

Love, Lies and Lemon Cake by Sue Watson



Publication date: 27 June 
Published By: Bookouture
Buy on Amazon


The Blurb:

Faye Dobson has lost her sparkle. Living on film star fantasies and vague memories of a marriage that once was, she can’t help feeling that life is passing her by. She dreams of being whisked to Paris for dinner, making three wishes at the Trevi fountain and having sex under the stars. But the wrinkles are multiplying, her husband’s passion is for plumbing, and the nearest she’ll get to Rome is a take-away pizza.

So when Faye meets Dan the gorgeous Australian surfer guy working in the local deli she can’t help but wonder what it would be like to see the world. He is blonde, tanned, ten years younger and bakes the most amazing lemon cake. Unlike her husband Dan actually listens to Faye, his smile makes her feel fizzy inside, and when he smiles... Oh. My. God.

But is Faye being silly? What would Dan see in someone like her? Even if he did have feelings for her, could she give everything up to be with him?

A laugh-out-loud, bittersweet comedy about taking your life back before it’s too late.


My Review:

Love, Lies and Lemon Cake by Sue Watson introduces the 21st century version of Shirley Valentine! I am in love and awe of Faye Dobson. As a 42 year old who is having a bit of a mid life crisis this book is brilliant. I am not sure I can do it justice in a review as I don't want to give the whole thing away.

Faye Dobson is in her early forties, has been married for years since falling pregnant with her daughter half way through a university course, has been in the same job forever and a day, and life just seems pretty dreary and dull. She has foregone her dreams of travelling and enjoying life to raise her family and work to make ends meet. However, as things get worse at home Faye discovers an old ruck sack which contains items she collected related to her dreams. This seems to ignite something in her, and realising that she can't go on she leaves her husband.

She also discovers a new deli in town with food that sounds so tasty I was at times drooling! Not only is the food tasty, so it appears is Dan, the young Aussie she discovers serving behind the counter. A younger. As I imagine many of us (well me anyway)would be, Faye struggles to remain composed and this makes for some really funny scenes.

Getting to know Dan seemed to me to change something for Faye and all of a sudden i felt that her character came to life. Gathering confidence I began to see her thinking suit what she wanted and being brave enough to go for it. As the book went on I became me and more hooked on Faye and her personal journey. I don't want to give it all away but it feels a bit like a more up to date Shirley Valentine in my eyes.

I have to admit that life has been a bit stale for me too recently, so the timing of this book is just perfect. Whilst reading the book and getting further along in it I have started to think about things I want to do and how to make them happen. I can imagine other readers doing something similar.

I found the book a fun read. I really enjoyed the characters and they, as well as the book were, in my opinion, written really well. The awkward clumsy moments in the deli seemed just like I could imagine me being, and I loved seeing the characters evolved. I could really picture the escapades and I could really imagine and connect with how free, happy and content Faye would be feeling. I did wonder how superficial the relationship might be and whether it would be a heartbreaking ending....I won't tell you what happens but I loved that it all worked out the best for them.

I am left wanting to pack a back pack, jump on the net, book some flights and go and try lots of 'out there' things that I never imagine being brave enough to do.

I would definitely recommend this as a great summer read and for some escapism from the hum drum of everyday life. I loved it and hope you will too.

Thank you for Bookouture for providing a copy of the book in return for an honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment