Saturday 21 June 2014

Christmas at the Gingerbread Cafe by Rebecca Raisin



Out now
Published by Carina UK
Purchase from Amazon


The Blurb:

The icing on her Christmas cake!

Christmas is the season the Gingerbread Café in Ashford, Connecticut was made for…but owner Lily couldn’t be feeling less merry if she tried. She’s spent another year dreaming of being whisked away on a sleigh-ride for two, but she’s facing festive season alone – again. And, just to give her another reason to feel anything other than candy-cane perky, a new shop across the road has opened… Not only is it selling baked goods, but the owner, with his seriously charming smile, has every girl in town swooning.

But Lily isn’t about to let her business crumble — the Gingerbread Café is the heart of the community, and she’s going to fight for it! This could be the Christmas that maybe, just maybe, all her dreams – even the someone-to-decorate-the-Christmas-tree-with ones – really do come true!

My Review:

I recently read The Bookshop on the Corner which is a novella in the Gingerbread Cafe series. I really enjoyed it, and loved the characters so much that I immediately bought books one and two of the series so I could find out more about them.

There is something a bit strange about sitting in the garden in gorgeous sunshine reading a book set at Christmas, and I did find myself humming a Christmas carol at one point, but don't let the Christmas theme put you off. This is perfect reading whatever the season. At 64 pages it isn't a long book and you can whizz through it in under an hour (the downside of which is that it left me hankering for more). But it's perfect if you are looking for some light entertainment.

I love the characters of Cee Cee and Lily. The way they are written has a great deal of humour and I would love to work and hang out with them. Such warm, large characters I defy anyone not to love them.

Lily owns the local cafe and Cee Cee works with her. Lily's still recovering from a broken heart and seems to be pretty glum, other than for her business. As Christmas approaches another shop opens across the road giving her direct competition. Poor Lily, I could'nt help but feel sorry for her. But, is the owner of the new shop real competition or an opportunity?

I really enjoyed this read. It has the feel good factor along with two main characters who I just adore. Their portrayal gave the story and warm and humour which was just what I needed. I am so glad this is part of a series as I desperately want to know what happens next. I love the small town feel and could imagine myself living somewhere like that and becoming part of the local community.

No comments:

Post a Comment