Wednesday 23 April 2014

Reading Habits Tag


Reading Habits Tag

I love being included in these tags so a massive thank you to Shaun for including me. Shaun (@bookaddictshaun)is a book addict who has a fantastic blog. Do check it out: http://bookaddictshaun.blogspot.co.uk/

Do you have a certain place at home for reading?

Yes, I love reading in bed. It is my place of escapism (as well as being where I spend 99% of my time these days due to illness). A book really helps relax me, cheer me up, and escape from the real world. It also helps me at night to fall asleep.

Bookmark or random piece of paper?

Bookmarks! Not that I have many. I do love them though and would love a whole collection of them. I tend to end up using train tickets with paper books, or the receipt for the purchase. However, most of my reading is from Kindle these days so no bookmark required. My pet hate is people who fold the edge of a page. It is a crime!!

Can you just stop reading or do you have to stop after a chapter or a certain number of pages?

Oh most definitely after a chapter, particularly with a paper book. I just can't bear to leave midway through a chapter. I love James Patterson and Shaun Hutson because they both write very short chapters which are just perfect. I find it slightly easier with the kindle but it kills me to leave it hanging.

Do you eat or drink whilst reading?

I would love to say no, but the truth is that yes, I do. But then anyone that has seen me or knows me can tell that I have a serious food addiction!

Do you watch tv or listen to music while reading?

Yep, afraid so. I am rubbish at being in silence so always have background noise (I even sleep with LBC on all night). I like to think of myself as a good multi tasker, but when I am reading all out pretty much becomes white noise, particularly with a gripping book.

One book at a time or several at once?

Up until recently I was always a one book only girl, who couldn't bear to read more than one book at a time. It felt like cheating on them in a weird sort of way. However, recently I have a couple on the go, usually one chick lit and one crime, so I can vary according to my mood (and keep up with reviews). I think I would struggle to read more than one book of the same genre at the same time as I would get confused.

Reading at home or everywhere?

Everywhere. I never go anywhere without a book, or my kindle in tow. I couldn't bear the thought of having some spare time and not having the ability to read - just realising how sad that might sound, and what an addiction I must have! I have discovered kindle on my iPhone, which is far better than I expected so I always have book options available to me wherever I may roam.

Reading out loud or silently in your head?

Absolutely 100% in my head. I cannot bear people reading out loud. I even hate it when people read silently but mouth the words...arghhhhh it's grating on me just thinking about it. Why would people need to do either????

Do you ever read ahead or skip pages?

I used to be guilty of this but have cured myself. I used to have a terrible habit of reading the last couple of pages, and usually ruining the book for myself. I have outgrown this though. I have realised that I do tend to speed read so rather than skip pages I read them all but often find I miss a few words. I can tell when I am truly in love with a book as my reading slows down to savour it.

Breaking the spine or keeping it like new?

Like new....I did it so hard to read new books as I hate marking or creasing a new book. Weirdly I tend to prefer second hand books, or library books which are a bit weathered. I think it's because they feel like others have enjoyed the book and so will I. I do however hate any books where the spine is completely broken with loose pages, or those that smell of cigarettes, or have food, drink or other ahem substances spilt on them.

Do you write in your books?

Not in fiction ones, no way! There is nothing worse. There is someone at my local library who has taken to writing comments about a book, or criticising the author in a book. It is infuriating and I can't read them. I don't know why people would do that.

I am guilty of writing in study books, but they are books I am going it retain and it is to help me in exams etc so feel that is different.


Thank you so much to Shaun for the opportunity to do this. I would now like to tag:

@shoefiend1984
@margaretbmadden
@skydreamerimi
@sianwootton
@_kayleighbailey


1 comment:

  1. I like the pre-loved feel of secondhand books. I rarely come out of Oxfam without one book, my husband despairs of me! SD
    http://www.sandradanby.com/

    ReplyDelete